Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stretching Myself, Continued

Some of you may be thinking. . .with all that work on photography and Spanish how do you have time for church work. Well believe it or not, I plan on using both in ministry. Plus, I've learned that stretching myself in one area often gives me new life in another.

But I'm also stretching myself in ministry areas through learning and living differently. Some of this is through reading. Some of this is a result of conversation with individuals who have been having an influence on me. Lately I've been trying to be in public areas (mall, bookstores, etc.) where it's normal to meet people and talk with total strangers; I'm naturally shy so getting into a conversation with a total stranger isn't easy for me. I mean, of course I could be "that guy" that talks to whoever and annoys people, but I'm not trying to be "that guy". I'm trying to naturally learn how to talk with people outside the church about everyday stuff.

Reading the right books seem to have this stretching impact as well. . ."Present Future" by Reggie McNeal, "Deadly Viper Character Assassins: A Kung Fu Survival Guide for Life and Leadership" by Mike Foster and Jud Wilhite have been awesome!! Next on my reading list is "Lost and Found: The Young Unchurched and the Churches That Will Reach Them" by Ed Stetzer.

No comments: